World Vegan Month is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than to make this ridiculously naughty stack of deliciousness. The pancakes themselves use my simple protein pancake recipe (using vegan protein instead of whey), and are topped with the most insane vegan toffee sauce. These make a great weekend treat, but can also be stored overnight in tupperware, meaning you can have the most enviable breakfast in the office.
INGREDIENTS (Makes 2 servings)
For the pancakes:
1 cup oats (or substitute flour of choice)
2 large ripe bananas, 1 mashed & 1 whole
1 scoop vegan vanilla protein
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the toffee sauce:
3/4 cup of coconut sugar
1 cup of full fat coconut milk
A pinch of coarse sea salt
1. First, make your toffee sauce. Heat up an empty saucepan on the hob for a minute or two. Next, add the sugar to the pan and stir for 30-40 seconds to make sure it is heated through.
2. Pour in the coconut milk and stir until combined. Bring the mixture to the boil before reducing to a simmer. Let the sauce reduce for around 12 minutes. The mixture should be relatively thick. Set aside to cool.
3. Whilst the sauce is cooling, start preparing the pancakes. Blend the oats in a food processor until you achieve a sand-like consistency. Add all the other ingredients (except the whole banana) to the mixer and blend until combined. You may want to start by using just a small amount of milk and adding gradually, until you achieve the desired consistency. The pancake mix should be thick but pourable.
4. Heat up a good quality, non-stick pan, and spray with coconut oil. Pour approximately 1/3 cup of mixture into the pan and place on low heat. The pancake is ready to be flipped once you start to see bubbles rising to the surface. Once flipped, cook for another 60 seconds before removing from the pan and placing under some tin foil to keep warm.
5. Repeat the above until you have used up all of the mixture.
6. Cut a banana in half length-ways and place in the same pan used for the pancakes. Fry on either side for around 45 seconds.
7. Top your pancakes with a fried banana, toffee sauce and any of your other favourite toppings.