1. Don’t listen to people who tell you Reigate Half Marathon is flat. It is not flat.
2. Blisters hurt
3. Chafing also hurts
4. Don’t listen to Martin Solveig as you approach the start line. You will run your first 3 miles 1,000 quicker than your target pace.
5. Don’t run a half marathon when you’ve only run 7km a couple of times in the last 6 weeks
6. The 1:40 pacers don’t run at 1:40 pace
7. The half marathon “wall” most definitely does exist (circa. 9 miles to be specific)
8. Bosch “hill” can f**k off. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a near-vertical incline at the end of a half marathon can do one
9. Half marathons aren’t fun
10. Despite all of this, running Reigate half proved that it is still possible to run a half marathon with minimum training, following a week of boozing in Tenerife with the galz and climbing the 3 tallest mountains in the UK in under 24 hours.
p.s. why not book yourself in for another half marathon for 4 weeks time?! RIVER THAMES HALF MARA I’M COMING FOR YA.